Smith Island Originals is a line created by Turtle Central that reflects the heritage and history of the Smith Island Complex. We have been developing this project for quite some time and used images either donated or taken by our staff. Be on the lookout for more Smith Island Originals!
The name Smith Island (or Smith's Island Complex) was used in the 1700's after Thomas Smith acquired the title to the island. The name was used in conjunction with Bald Head Island for over two centuries until Bald Head Island officially became a designated village in 1983. The image on this t-shirt is based on an 1853 survey of the Cape Fear River including Smith's Island. (Source: Bald Head: A History of Smith Island and Cape Fear)